2015 was my first year in Oregon. I was still figuring out the lay of the land. I put in a lot of quality time on two wheels. But I also missed the boat on a number of great organized events and really epic rides. In 2016 I’m getting a jump on planning so that I can claim the best year of biking in my life thus far – and I’ve had some pretty awesome years…
No self-respecting mountain biker rides without picking up a shovel and getting some trail dirt under the fingernails. I’ve never been the most gung-ho builder in town, but I like to think I pull my weight in trail building. This years I have a couple of build days already on my radar, just to get things rolling.
- Century ride from Castle Rock to Johnston Ridge and back
- Length: 107.7 miles | Elevation gain: 11,292′
- McKenzie Pass Scenic Bikeway – OR
- Length: 38 miles | Elevation gain: 2,366′
- Seattle to Portland (StP)
- Length: 206 miles (2 days) | Elevation gain: 5, 024′
Stub Stewart became my go to local trails last year, and I think that will remain the case in 2016. In addition, I have a few epic goals in my sights.
- Ranger Creek – WA
- McKenzie River Trail – OR
- Ape Canyon to Plains of Abraham – WA
- Black Rock Trail System – OR
- And hit some respectable features without hospitalization
- Winter Park – CO
- I’ll be in Winter Park for a week, and I plan to pedal until my legs fall off!
My MTB is a 2013 Giant Reign 2 with a long list of upgrades. I’ve decided that it is time to move on – partly because I’m on a 1×10 drivetrain with no overdrive gear. It keeps my legs strong, but I can’t stop thinking about how nice a 1×11 would be. So, I’m on the lookout for a 2015 Giant Reign Advanced; my third Reign in a row!
My road bike is a 2012 Giant TCR AL frame with a mostly SRAM Force groupset. I’m less picky about my road ride, so I’ll probably ride it throughout the year. Eventually I’d like a recent Defy Advanced. But it isn’t a shortlisted item.
Basically, I just want whichever bikes Yoann Barelli is riding (click the link to have your mind blown).